Brazen Abbot
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Avantasia " The Metal Opera" features BOB CATLEY!
Posted by: H.F (IP Logged)
Date: September 24, 2002 06:32PM

Nik , you gotta work with Bob Catley in the future , He's the MAN!!!!! ;)

TAKE CARE!

H.F

Avantasia - The Metal Opera (Part II)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was really looking forward to this release. I loved "Avantasia Part I" with its awesome melodic songs, great atmosphere and quite exciting story. It would be interesting to hear if Tobias Sammet could continue the high standard set by that album.

Part II has the best start I could have imagined. Starting out with the 14 minute epic The seven angels. This song has it all, atmospheric choirs, fast melodic parts, huge choruses, beautiful piano parts and above all, awesome singing. Especially the lines by David Defeis are excellent. I can't help it, but some parts in the middle of this song (9:35) make me think of Jim Steinman when he was at the peak of his songwriting with Meat Loaf (Bat out of hell I & II). This is a brilliant song and one of the biggest highlights of the album.

No return continues the Sammet tradition of writing excellent melodic speed metal songs. This is a fast melodic song with an awesome chorus. The song has a cool bridge leading up to the chorus. Melodic metal heaven starts right here...

The looking glass slows things down a bit with its heavy drive. Enjoy that great atmospheric bridge right before the chorus. This song gets better and better with each listen. Excellent! BOB CATLEY sings like I've never heard him sing before on this one!.

On In quest for more BOB CATLEY is back and he really shines on this ballad. I love his voice and here it gives the song a very special feeling. It brings back memories of his classic "Middle Earth" album.

The ending fades nicely into The Final sacrifice, which is another highlight of the album. I was surprised that it was included here as it was already released on the Avantasia single back in 2000. It's only another plus for the album though as it fits nicely here. David Defeis (Virgin Steele) rules the song when his charismatic voice takes over and makes the song even more powerful than it already is. His screams help build a great atmosphere on this song. This is the exact same version as on the single as far as I can hear. The only difference is the production, which is somewhat thicker and heavier here.

Neverland is another of my favorites. Damn Mr. Sammet, You really know how to write majestic metal songs. This chorus has stayed in my head for several weeks ever since I heard the album for the first time.

Well, I don't think I will describe every song on the album. There should be something to discover for yourself. Let me just say that the high standard continues through the rest of the songs. Just wait till you hear Chalice of agony where Kai Hansen and Andre Matos make an appearance. Holy cow... What a song. Oh, and see if you recognize that piano intro to Anywhere...

The production of the album is excellent. A little thicker and heavier than Part I but very close to that sound.

All the different singers put their own touch on the album, but Tobias Sammet somehow outshines them all. His voice is getting better and better with each release. Amazing.

All the songs are excellent and after listening to the album more than 15 times it is still growing on me. Many small touches make their appearance with each listen and by now the album is very close to the same status as Part I. I still feel a little something is missing before proclaiming it a classic though. I can always ask for more and it would have been nice with a few more fast songs. It's probably a matter of personal taste.

I won't compare Part I and II too much, but instead look at them as one big feast of a Metal Opera. It doesn't get much better than this.

To sum it up: This is symphonic heavy metal at it's very best and a fitting end to one of the best Metal Opera's ever created.

Rating: 9/10

Re: Avantasia " The Metal Opera PART 2" features BOB CATLEY!
Posted by: H.F (IP Logged)
Date: September 24, 2002 06:39PM

ANOTHER REVIEW...

AVANTASIA: "Metal Opera Pt 2"

The final chapter of the work begun by Tobias Sammet a couple of years ago and that convulsed the European Metal scene because of its quality, the significance of the project and even the commercial response it meant. Instead of going into comparisons what I'll do is to tell about the small differences we can find on this album with regard to the one that preceded it. First of all, it must be said that Avantasia Pt 2 is probably what we expected, a continuation that won't dissapoint anyone and that there are few differences between the first and second parts. The most outstanding ones are, of course, the incorporation of two new musicians into the project, Bob Catley (Magnum) and Eric Singer (Kiss). Together with them all of the characters of Avantasia we already knew
continue, Kai Hansen, Andre Matos, David DeFeis, Oliver Hartmann, Sharon Den Adel, Rob Rock, Ralf Zdiarstek and Michael Kiske (that this time doesn't sign as "Ernie"). Instrumentalists don't vary too much: the band's base is composed by Henjo Richter (Gamma Ray) on guitar, Markus Grosskopf (Helloween) on bass and Alex Holzwarth (Rhapsody) behind drums, in addition to the appearances of Eric Singer, Timo Tolki or Jens Ludwig among others.
The other notable difference I see on the album is musical, I mean the focusing of the songs. On this album you have more furious, fast and strong themes and, on the other side, other themes that are more overelaborated, melodic and long. Of course there are some exceptions as the theme that opens up the album, "The Seven Angels", a fantastic piece, probably the best track of the album and that starts it like the first part ended, with a theme of nearly 15 minutes, very epic but full of more tints, rhythm changes and melodies than "The Tower". All the characters of the "metal opera" take part on this track but the parts sung by Kiske, probably the best of the work, are quivering (what a loss for our music!). Kiske will also be our protagonist when we talk about the next theme "No Return", one of those fast ones I've mentioned before and that begins with a style of Helloween/Edguy so when Michael starts singing you think it's a theme from "Keepers...". The bridge before the chorus is very good too, it can remind you of Kiss or Queen. A very commercial theme with a very "power" chorus of those that aren't lacking on any theme of the album and that will delight German Metal followers.
"The Looking Glass" is another theme I like very much. Although it's calmer, powerful guitars that carry the whole load of the song and one of those catchy choruses that are plentiful in Avantasia make this one a great song.

This one is followed by "In Quest For", a very slow song, sung by Sammet and BOB CATLEY at first accompanied by a piano that diverts to a soft orchestration. BOB CATLEY's interpretation makes you take your hat off, his voice is full of tints and unbelievably shrouding!.

"The Final Sacrifice" is the hardest theme Tobias has composed and sung, not only in Avantasia but also during his whole professional life, including Edguy. No doubt that full sail guitars accompanied by a potent rhythmical base, a very "metallic" chorus, Sammet's shrieks and DeFeis'swhispering voice (this kind of themes suit him to a tee) will turn this one into one of your favourites. This one is followed by "Neverland" and "Anywhere". On the first one the most outstanding thing is Rob Rock's appearance alternating his parts with Tobias and above all guitars, rhythmical ones as well as central ones with Henjo's great solo. On "Anywhere" piano and relaxation return with a beautiful song where Sammet comes out brilliantly. With a very operistic touch due to Tobias's way of singing, the chorus may remind you of what Bruce Dickinson does in solitary.
Another brilliant moment of Avantasia Pt 2 comes with "Chalice Of Agony", high quality Power Metal where Tobias is accompanied by Kai and a great Andre Matos. As I've said, a pure "power" theme (I hate this definition) similar to Edguys', with another trademark chorus and full of genious guitars in charge of Henjo Richter who does impressively again. Add to it a great work of both Markus and Alex on bass and drums that manage to make you feel the song isn't repetitive and you'll have one of the best tracks Tobias has ever recorded. The next track, "Memory", probably reminds you of the theme "Avantasia" of the first part, though it's a bit more agressive it contains a very similar chorus. The album ends with a theme that seems to be a book's epilogue. Tranquility comes and with it Sharon Den Adel's precious voice. Another epic, symphonic and melodic chorus that transports you to the end of the album in what, in my opinion, is the best slow song of the two parts of this story. It will make you shiver.
This is the end of this superproject called Avantasia that started a lot of years ago in Tobias Sammet's imagination. With this second part he's proved that Heavy Metal has a warranty for many years because if he has created two works with this importance when he's just 24 years old, what will he offer in the future? Congratulations Tobias, you've achieved it again.
Review: Jorge

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.