The Rock Opera :  Nitrax Phorum Nostradamus - The Rock Opera
Discuss the rock opera here 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Chorus
Posted by: txiki (IP Logged)
Date: November 10, 2001 09:35PM

Hi there! First of all I would like to say that Nostradamus is GREAT!! It was a good surprise for me to find this CD with musicians I listened to when I was a teenager in the late 80s...I am really glad to see that they are still working so well! Congratulations!! You have gathered in your Opera my two passions: classical and heavy music. I would like to say just one little thing about chorus in Nostradamus. I suppose there is a good reason for it, but I found that the Chorus parts were not strong enough. I must say that I am very fond of singing (specially singing in choirs), and I always listen carefully to them in heavy-metal music. Perhaps it has not been noticed by other people, but I think Nostradamus chorus parts could be more powerful and defined... Well, apart from this little remark though, Nostradamus is fantastic. I really canīt stop listening to it !! Thank you very much!!

Re: Chorus
Posted by: (IP Logged)
Date: December 19, 2001 06:33AM

Hi Txiki,

I'm also a singer and i believe that the chorus parts fits exactly in the mood of the music, just like the guitars, the band, orchestra, etc. It's about balance and equilibrium in the songs. The chorus are used just like in a Broadway play.

Bye

Posted by: Nikolo (IP Logged)
Date: December 19, 2001 09:20AM

Hi , Txiki
Thanks you for liking Nostradamus !

Mixing it was very tough and compromises had to be made. Sometimes the
choirs are louder , sometimes - softer .It depends on how important they are at the moment. Mixing a rock band with a symphonic orchestra is not easy , especially when they are both so important.....

Stay well:
Nikolo

Date: January 10, 2002 08:57PM

Hi André,
Thank you very much for your comments. I agree with you in most of the pieces of Nostradamus. It is true, chorus in Nostradamus play the same role than in musicals or in classical operas; but there are a few parts -like in Broadway plays or in Operas- where I think they should be more protagonists, and I feel they are not clear enough in these parts (we feel they are there, like one more instrument, but I think it is pity not to hear them more). Thank you very much again and good luck with your musical plans!

Date: January 10, 2002 09:07PM

Hi Nikolo!
Thank you so much for your comments! I understand that mixing must have been really difficult, but anyway, you did a great work. Just one more question. I didnīt find any reference about the choir in the booklet, and I would like to know if thatīs because they are basically electronic or computer worked voices. If not, did the soloist collaborate on them?
Thank you very much again and happy new year!

Posted by: Nikolo (IP Logged)
Date: January 11, 2002 10:30AM

Hi, Txiki

The choirs are all made by the singers themselves by overdubbing each part
countless times - often up to 46 takes...
Please , note that choirs like that are impossible to make by the computer -
a PC can simulate a human voice , but cannot sing like a human ;-)

Best regards and Happy New Year !!

Nikolo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.